Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Kadalooram-a place where Food and Sea meet Spirit.

I never knew I was a  Squid person. But I am. It's confirmed. So the other day, I had the opportunity to indulge in squid again. And boy were they “juicy”. They were tender and juicy. I must have got the heads or something, but I had the strange feeling that I was eating one of those creatures seen in Men in Black. ( I know, but yeah that's how I felt.) And I felt good :) . I also indulged in Crab, Prawns and a whole lot of other sea- food. In case you are wondering where,  this is a place called “Kadalooram”. It was a wonderful experience as this restaurant is right on the beach. It's more of an up market Beach-Shack. So you get this fresh and yummy sea-food in a clean and neat space. And they are open till 11.30 pm, I think. There is a big rush, but you can wait on the beach watching the waves rolling on the sea-shore. And there are a couple of benches too, where you can sit. This is a safe place for women in the evenings too, as it's a family crowd out there. You see, if you stop looking at the waves and turn around, you will find yourself looking at one of the architectural marvels of Trivandrum - the new church of Vettucaud. Yes, I think this is a building the city can be proud of. I read that it was designed by architect Sebastian from Kochi. The building has an understated elegance. Whether it's the flooring or the wood-work, genuine thought and consideration has gone into it.

Kadalooram, led me there.

While waiting for the food, we went inside the church. I felt strangely touched and humbled. It was a moving experience. While walking out, I couldn't speak. Didn't want to. It was nice, feeling whatever we felt with the soft grains of sand on our feet and the waves rolling in the front. A mystical experience. The kind you'd like to have again. The church is open to all, so anyone can go in.  It is on the outskirts of the city and near the airport.

So my gastronomical adventure turned out to be mystical too. I came back with a full belly and soul.



No comments: