Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Andhra Street Food:Punukulu

The other day I made Punukkulu. Now don't ask me how this is pronounced. I say it the way I read it. This is Andhra street food. And I stumbled upon it as I stumbled upon Sailus' kitchen. Sailu has 4229 readers!!! Wow!!! Yes Wow!! But when you go though her blog you can see why. Her recipes are so simple and easy to make. I think she is helping people all over the world with her blog. Anyways back to the Punukkulu. I asked her permission and am reprinting the recipe as it is ( her version). You must visit her blog to see how it should look.
Punukulu Recipe

Prep: 20 mts

Serves 4-5 persons

Cuisine: Andhra

.

Ingredients:

4 cups raw rice, soak in water overnight, drain for an hour, make a fine powder

1 cup urad dal/minappa pappu/black gram dal, soak for 4-5 hrs

oil for deep frying

salt to taste

1 Grind the soaked dal to a fine paste. Add the ground rice pwd to the batter and make a smooth batter. Ferment the batter for 6-7 hrs.
2 Heat oil for deep frying in a heavy bottomed vessel. Once it reaching piping hot stage, reduce flame to medium and drop a tbsp of batter into the hot oil. Prepare a batch of 10-12 punukulu based on the size of the vessel.
3 Deep fry to a golden brown shade and remove onto absorbent paper. Serve hot with chutney and finely chopped onions by the side.

Note:

You can add cumin seeds, chopped onions and green chillis to the batter before deep frying. If using left over dosa/idli batter, add 1-2 tbsps of semolina, chopped onions, cumin, green chillis and coriander leaves to the batter and prepare punukulu.

For some reason the punukkulus' I made looked different from what is shown on her blog. Still I consoled myself that it doesn't matter as it all goes down to the tummy anyways.

No comments: